The Department of Sport, Recreation and Racing is the Northern Territory Government’s lead agency for the racing industry. The Department manages the NT Government funding agreements with the thoroughbred and greyhound racing clubs and oversees the development, implementation and overall integrity of racing in the Northern Territory.
The Department’s role includes connecting with and engaging racing organisations and stakeholders, drawing upon the best available evidence and practises, and representing the Northern Territory’s interests in national policy and decision making forums.
The Department of Sport, Recreation and Racing is responsible for:
- Funding and support to the thoroughbred and greyhound racing sectors;
- Regulation and licensing of NT greyhound racing;
- The Racing Appeals Tribunal;
- Racecourse licences;
- Assisting racing bodies address governance, financial and sustainability issues; and
- Managing racing services in general.
NT Racing Commission
The NT Racing Commission now sits with the Department of Business.